Piper L4-B, F-GHIP
The Piper Cub, (Piper J3) is a light aircraft, built from 1937 to 1947 in the United States by Piper Aircraft.
Plane in tandem (two-seater one behind the other), it was originally simply intended to learning of the cockpit. But thanks to its simplicity, its low cost, it is become one of the most popular and well-known of all time. This is not without remember what the Model T Ford is to the automobile.
When the army American sought a liaison aircraft and observation, Piper Aircraft modified the Piper J3 expanding significantly the glass surface and the device received the appellation of O-59 (1941), then L – 4 (from April 1942), and not (within the U. S. Navy).
Its role and the multiplicity of its uses was considerable:
Reconnaissance missions, transport of personnel and sensitive material, adjustment of artillery fire, medical evacuations of wounded soldiers.
During the liberation of France in 1944, the slow speed of the L-4 and maneuverability have made an ideal observation platform to find the German tanks hidden in ambush in the Norman bocage.
Martin, 33, will present this airplane in a routine reenacting the last aerial combat of the Second World War, carried out with a pistol between two unarmed aircraft: a Piper L-4 and a Fieseler Storch.
His Piper Cub was delivered on 07/12/1942 at the base of Fort Sill, Oklahoma, USA.
It was used as a training plane by the Field Artillery Training Center (FATC), and was then transferred to the Army Ground Forces.
Exported to France in October 1990, it was based in Chartres, and now in Briare.
© Pascal Rousseau
© Studio Cui-Cui